Thanks Joel; Solar Power and Neighborhoods

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: The Secure Home (FAQ): Thanks Joel; Solar Power and Neighborhoods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

dkulha

Friday, March 17, 2000 - 03:02 pm Click here to edit this post
Greetings All,

First off I'd like to thank Joel....Many years ago the concept of secure homes (and the associated infrastructure) was brought to my attention by you. It got me thinking and a consequence of this was that I expanded my thinking about security and homes to include things like communications, power and water purification.

I live on a hilltop about 12 miles west of Healdsburg CA (75 miles north of San Francisco) at the end of a 2 mile gravel road. Although utility power is available on the property I decided to go with solar and wind generated power as well as a DC generator for backup power. This system has served me well; my neighbors out here (closest is 1/2 mile) can be without power for as much as a week after a storm while utility crews pull downed trees off the wires on their 10 mile run up the canyon. I'm never without power...power from my batteries (fork lift type deep cycle) is either used directly as 12 volts DC or inverted (DC->AC) to 117 volts AC. Haven't paid a utility bill in 3 years now and never had a power failure (out here in the boonies my neighbors lose power on average once a month). So power security is covered here and I have much higher power quality thanks to a couple pure sinewave inverters.

One of the other issues with living out here is reliable communications. While I do have phone lines (and ISDN for the computers) the phone service is flakey and often interrupted for the same reasons the power is. Besides normal phone service cellular is available but power outages cab affect this as well. Several years ago I decided that ham radio would be the ideal backup; there are numerous "hams" in the county and two of the local clubs maintain radio "repeaters" that also offer "autopatch" (or "phonepatch") functionality. So if the phone lines and cell-site are down I can use the radio for emergtency communications with other hams or patch into the phone system via the repeater to make phone calls. This has worked out well.

Another thing that has enhanced our security here is our neighbors. As concerns about Y2K ramped up we met and discussed family and neighborhood security. Most of the folks put in some food storage, several bought generators and fuel stores, we identified human community resources (the paramedic up the road) and also established a shortrange wireless communication with all families having an inexpensive FRS type radio transceiver and a phone list of all others living in the area. Aside from now having these physical resources we've built community and established a policy of cooperation.

Thanks Joel....You got us started.

Don Kulha
Home Power Magazine

jdunbar

Sunday, March 19, 2000 - 09:27 pm Click here to edit this post
Gulp,

Don, I really appreciate your magazine... but I feel bad that I always buy it from the news stand.

I do this every month. One of these days I'm going to break down and subscribe to your GREAT magazine. But don't fear, I have just about all of the back issues in my files.

John D.

joel

Tuesday, March 28, 2000 - 11:21 pm Click here to edit this post
Don,
I'm honored that I could play a role in getting people such as yourself started in self-sufficiency and security. It is a fun and enjoyable field. I'm a real fan of Home Power Magazine as well. Everyone can learn from this innovative publication. Thanks for writing.

Joel Skousen

Rex

Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:41 pm Click here to edit this post
Re: Solar Power and California, from 3-13-03. California is the first state to install a solar tax.

Solar Advocates Take Dim View Of New Fees
Agency wants to tax homes that generate own power.

Californians who recently took the trouble to put up solar electric panels expected hearty thanks from a state desperate for clean energy to relieve its strained power grid. Instead, they may be getting a bill...

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/5357000.htm

Rex

Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 12:47 pm Click here to edit this post
Thank heavens that we can rely on REAL safety and radiation tips like those found in Joel’s book, The Secure Home, his Strategic Relocation book or at these forums. Otherwise, we might be forced to rely on pathetic advice such as these gems found in this newly published household-preparedness manual:

NYC: If Disaster Hits, Hide Under A Desk

Excerpt: Ten pages into the document, the city offers one quarter of one page of pithy advice on what to do.

"If you are in a building collapse or explosion, get out as quickly and calmly as possibly," it suggests, before adding, "If you can't get out of the building, get under a sturdy table or desk."

New Yorkers who believe hiding under a table might help them if their office skyscraper collapsed in a terrorist attack are encouraged to try all sorts of other tips.

What to do if exposed to radiation? Well, it depends on where you are. If you're outside, the city suggests you go inside. And if the event happens inside, going outdoors might be a good idea.

The document also offers a full page of "Thoughts on Terrorism." Among them, "Do not spread rumors" and the classic, known to airline travelers around the world, "Do not accept packages from strangers."

More terrorism thoughts include such pearls as being wary of packages or letters covered in a "powdery substance." And, getting even more specific on suspicious packages, it demands you should, "PUT IT DOWN -- preferably on a stable surface."

The city also notes that disasters and terrorist attacks can be stressful and cause emotional distress. That being the case, the authors of the report suggest that talking to friends and family can be "good medicine." Oh, and don't forget a healthy diet, daily exercise "and get plenty of sleep."

Called "Ready New York: A Household Preparedness Guide," Bloomberg said in a statement, "All New Yorkers should take advantage of this invaluable information resource."

With that in mind, the city has made the report available in city offices, libraries, community centers and has printed up 572,000 paper copies. On the Internet at www.nyc.gov it can be downloaded in seven languages -- English, Spanish, Chinese, Haitian-Creole, Korean, Russian and Arabic . . . (end of excerpt)
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=reutersEdge&storyID=3074814

Steve Stock (Steveandkaystoc)

Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:42 am Click here to edit this post
Solar chic becomes fashionable in New York

What is it that makes these New Yorkers willing to pay $12,000 to $30,000 for solar equipment and installation? Maybe its the states incentives that refund homeowners more than half of that money, or that the systems chop about 75 percent off their electricity bills.

Full story at http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/26358/story.htm

Steve Stock (Steveandkaystoc)

Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 03:41 pm Click here to edit this post
Solar Panels May Get Five Times More Efficient

Researchers at the University of Toronto have invented an infrared-sensitive material that's five times more efficient at turning the sun's power into electrical energy than current methods. More at http://www.rense.com/general61/solar.htm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: