Vent-Free Heaters

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: The Secure Home (FAQ): Vent-Free Heaters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Catfish (Veastley)

Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 02:14 pm Click here to edit this post
Joel recommends vent-free propane heaters from Martin Industries, which are almost impossible to find here in the Inland Northwest (at least with sane prices). Are the Martin units substantially higher in quality than other brands? Does Martin manufacture units sold under any other names? I've found some Comfort Glow infrared heaters on clearance--does anyone have any experience with these?

I've also heard many exclamations of horror when I ask for vent-free heaters. Many people seem to think I''m likely to "wake up dead" due to oxygen depletion. Joel writes that these heaters are extremely efficient, and with the oxygen sensor there is nothing to worry about. Any additional thoughts on the safety issue?

Joel Skousen (Joel)

Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 11:40 pm Click here to edit this post
The ventless propane heaters that have the ceramic core (white with holes in them)are more safe, in my opinion, relative to C0 than those that use a metal shroud (as in some camping models). The ceramic core models (all are high quality units) give off no detectable levels of CO. I have a CO detector right near every heater in my cabin and the detectors have never shown anything but "0" on the dial. The detectors are working fine, since I did have a CO problem with a normal propane furnace and the detectors caught the problem fast. I recommended Martin because they have basic units at reasonable prices here in the West. If you can't find them or they are too expensive, feel free to buy any other ceramic core unit--they will all give about the same results, so shop for price. Don't buy the fancy automatic T-stat features. Just get one with 3 or 4 burners with a selectable switch. Moderate the heat output by how many burners you put on.

Joel Skousen

jgraham

Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 11:15 pm Click here to edit this post
We have one in our cabin at the lake. It doesn't give us any problems as far as the gases it puts off while it is operating, but there is a propane smell while it is on. We have used it for up to five days during the winter with it on constantly the whole time. The thing that is really objectionable about it is that the burning of propane creats very much water vapor. That vapor condenses on every thing that is cold when we first come to the cabin so every thing from canned goods to bedding is damp or even has water drops on them. An then after the interior is warmed so things seem to be getting dryer, the doors, windows, and even the walls are wet.
Regarding using one without a thermostat, if the price difference isn't too great, I would have one. You can waste a lot of propane if you let it get too warm before you realize you need to turn the heat down. It seems that we have to get the cabin pretty warm according to the thermometer to feel warm with so much moisture in the air.
In all, they are not a very good permanent heat source.

Brenda Bone (Bbone)

Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 01:06 pm Click here to edit this post
Contact Info (as of March 2003)

Martin Industries, Inc.
301 East Tennessee Street
Florence, Alabama 35630
Phone: 256-767-0330
Fax: 256-740-5192

Martin Gas

A Division of Martin Industries, Inc.
Florence, Alabama 35630
Phone: 1-800-227-1055
Fax: (256) 740-5192
email: sales@martinindustries.com
www.martingas.com

Martin Fireplaces

Florence, Alabama 35630
Phone: 1-800-227-5248
www.martinfireplace.com

Atlanta Stove

Florence, Alabama 35630
Phone: 1-800-227-0795
www.atlantastove.com

THX1138

Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 01:54 pm Click here to edit this post
I don't have any experience with Martin stoves but we got a "rite-temp" ventless propane fireplace from Home Depot in February and we love it! I grew up with a wood burning fireplace and really missed the ambience of a wood fireplace in our current home. This rite-temp is great - almost all the ambience (yellow flames in a black simulated cast iron stove with ceramic logs) with none of the wood smoke/ash mess (granted, I'll be stuck if we have a propane shortage, and I do miss the smell of the buring wood).
Our propane useage has gone way down since we've hardly used our 20 yr old furnace at all since getting the rite-temp (house is about 1000 sq ft in southern Ohio, I believe the rite-temp is rated at 32,000 btu and it was under $300). My new CO monitor has never gone above ZERO. Humidity hasn't been a problem yet either.
The rite-temp we got has a push-button starter, pilot light and thermostatic control.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: