On the subject of transportation

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: The Secure Home (FAQ): On the subject of transportation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Bruce A

Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 02:47 pm Click here to edit this post
Throughout the US there are "insurance pools", places where wrecked, stolen, flooded, etc., vehicles of all makes and models are taken to be resold after insurance has totalled them and paid the original owner.

All of the vehicles I have owned in the last 10 years or so have been purchased through one of these "pools". Usually, the only buyers allowed to bid are dealers, or licensed rebuilders / parts sellers. The savings are dramatic, if you take the time to find someone with a pass that allows you in to bid. The vehicles range from those so damaged as to be unuseable, to those that can be driven home the day purchased.

Although I have no interest in any of the companies running these "pools", I highly recommend those folks who are looking for the cheapest transportation possible [although if a new Jag is the car you want...wait and one day you will see it there].

Good luck. In Indiana, there is a pool with internet access: Just type in IASP.com, go to "sales list". You will see what they are selling next week. Usually, these pools sell between 300 and 400 vehicles per week.

Obviously, be careful. I have had good luck, but your mileage may vary.

Bruce

RevZimmerman

Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 08:58 pm Click here to edit this post
Watch Ebay for vehicles. I was searching for a diesel car and they had many. One volkswagon and about 30 Mercedes in a low price range. Under $5,000.

I saw one diesel Mercedes sell for $3,500. It had 79,000 miles on it and looked beautiful.

If I were to buy a Mercedes diesel for survival purposes I would tint the windows and remove all exterior Mercedes markings. Hood ornament, Grill symbol, etc. Then give it a nice flat, not glossy paint job. I would even considering denting it up a bit. Not harming the structural integrity of the vehicle.

The reason to strip and damage the car as I mentioned above are because when the economy starts going bad you wouldn't want to appear wealthy. A dented up car with an obvious homemade paint job will look poor. Even if the interior is in perfect Mercedes condition.

If you appear wealthy, people will consider you to be wealthy (and sueable)!

Shawnee

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 02:20 pm Click here to edit this post
Check the results of crash tests for your car and lots more at:

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web site
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: