I need help...with, well everything!

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: The Secure Home (FAQ): I need help...with, well everything!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

eve

Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 09:17 pm Click here to edit this post
I am a single mother of 2 ..we get by on half of the USA standard "poverty" level, but we are by no means poor!!
I don't have the $$ currently to buy this book, as soon as I can (saving up) I will purchase it.
what I need to know is, are there any books currently available at any library (or online), that might help me choose the proper land (looking towards solar & hydroelectric power and all around self sufficiency). When I am able , and have the land, I plan to use something called "Ferro-Crete". I found it on the net and it seems a cheap yet strong method for building.
I could use some input on this..as we live in a town with 1)a TANK plant, 2) an OIL refinery & 3) a CHEMICAL plant...we need out of here ! if for no other reason than the health problems that everyone suffers living in such an area. ( I figure a bomb(S) strategically placed would take out the town and probably several 100 miles around here.)
(also keep in mind that I have been through classes on electronics, carpentry:framing& finish, masonry, residential wiring,welding etc. always with an eye towards future needs) I have the knowledge and ability, I just need ...idiot proof instructions *G*
I appreciate your time and help!

Webmaster (Tom)

Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 10:44 pm Click here to edit this post
Joel's Strategic Relocation answers all of the "where" questions --especially in terms of prevailing winds, weather patterns, climate patterns, and the effectiveness of solar, wind energy etc. Secure Home answers the "how" questions and discusses the pros and cons of various building methods (especially in terms of climate) and other safety features. You may be able to find them in a library. If not I believe there is a discount when you get both together. Good luck!

screeds (Screeds)

Friday, October 05, 2001 - 12:35 am Click here to edit this post
G, With young kids it's not only about a relocation, it's about re-education or continuation of the right education. We're all bombarded with the wrong information, make sure they get the right info. Knowing that you are building alert, aware and reverent children will prepare your family for whatever the future brings. Then the rest of your plans will begin to unfold and you'll all be able to make the most of them.

eve

Friday, October 05, 2001 - 12:54 am Click here to edit this post
thank you...!

where would i go to get the discount on both books?

Peace!

(i have no way to buy off the internet..no CC)

Webmaster (Tom)

Friday, October 05, 2001 - 10:46 am Click here to edit this post
To order from Swift Publishing please call 1-800-644-1057. If they don't work out, try and work something out with a local book seller.

Charles Rippel (Ripple)

Friday, October 05, 2001 - 01:34 pm Click here to edit this post
I doubt you'll need anything that is "idiot proof;" you are by far NOT an idiot! Congratulations on recognizing potential problems close to you and thoughtfully considering what action to take.

First of all, my counsel is to resist the natural urge to be overwhelmed. Providing for your safety is not an overwhelming problem when you consider the solution options you have right now.

Finding yourself on a track facing an oncoming train requires some action to avoid harm. Should you try and stop the train? That might entail having the foresight to purchase a 2 way radio with which to communicate with the engineer, or possibly figuring out how the signaling system worked to change the signal which controls that particular block from green to red.

Or, take the simple and effective approach of simply stepping off the track, out of the way of the train.

I think you see where I am headed here. Keep your short term plans simple.

Joel did an extensive interview last night on the Art Bell program and even if you missed it, his WWW site has an audio archive you can access and listen to it:

http://www.artbell.com/topics.html

You will see the Audio icon to the left of the program date. Click on it and you will be able to hear the interview through Windows Media Player. If you don't have it, Windows Media Player is a free download.

The interview starts in the second hour of the broadcast at about 1:06 on my Windows Media Player. Here is a way you can receive some insight on how Joel approaches some of the questions we all have on our minds and pick up some of his information. I think you will be impressed with his straight forward, matter of fact approach to the questions you have or are asking right now.

Maybe your best course of action is to keep your long term goals firmly in your plans and work toward them in stages as finances permit.

For the short term and to help put your mind at ease, maybe you should plan to temporarily relocate should something happen. Put together a 72 hour kit, coordinate with someone you know that is between 1/2 and 1 full tank of fuel away from your present location and plan to go there until you feel safe in returning.

When approaching the other party, be candid about your concerns and plan on "bringing something to the table" when you arrive. Could be food, water or a method to purify it or whatever you agree upon. In short, plan not to be a refugee or a burden, team up, arrive at a "win-win" for all concerned and make your combined efforts and resources stronger for their coming together.

This will put your mind at ease knowing you have taken prudent, positive steps to assure the safety of your family and yourself.

I have a few links to some excellent articles on 72 hour kits or, "Bug Out Bags" and would be happy to share them. These kits contain the essentials you would need to support yourself and those with you should you have to evacuate your home. I have included my e-mail address; write me back privately so we respect others on the list who may already have this information.

Best

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: