The House At The Top Of The "How Secure Is Your Home?" Page?

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: The Secure Home (FAQ): The House At The Top Of The "How Secure Is Your Home?" Page?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

ozymandias312

Sunday, December 02, 2001 - 05:29 am Click here to edit this post
The one that appears to be in some snowy mountains. It seems to have a sort of cupola or tower, whether for light or for observation I can't tell. Also, it almost looks like its wings are arranged according to the principles of the Vauban Star. I'd like to know more about that house -- how it works, who designed it, who built it, how much it cost to build, whether it's for sale, etc.

Sincerely,

ozymandias312

Darrell Ostler (Dostler)

Monday, December 03, 2001 - 11:51 am Click here to edit this post
I believe Vauban's design was five-pointed, but this house is either six or eight sided. I've seen this house, it is about 30 minutes from where I work. I think the tower is for both light and observation. I am not sure, but I believe the most interesting design principle in this house is a circumambulating cable that holds the roof trusses together. The design principle is in Joel's book. And I believe the designer is Joel Skousen.

ozymandias312

Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 12:46 am Click here to edit this post
Many thanks, Darrell. Another good reason for me to hurry up and buy Joel's book. Do you mean that the house is in Utah somewhere?

Ozzy

Darrell Ostler (Dostler)

Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 11:37 am Click here to edit this post
Yes, it is in a place called Hobble Creek Canyon, just east of Springville and Mappleton. There are some nice homes for sale there, some right near that house. It has a beautiful view of some mountains to the south. It is a prime place to live as it fits most of Mr. Skousen's criteria (strategic relocation book).

Joel Skousen (Joel)

Friday, December 14, 2001 - 11:26 am Click here to edit this post
Ozzy,

Darrell is correct. I am the designer of the home. It is called the Centurian home and is located in Hobble Creek Canyon, near Springville Utah. It was designed as a high security residence with tilt-up insulated conrete walls, vaulted beam ceilings and an elevated living/observation area on top. I used the design as my architectural logo and a would-be movie director saw it and had it built for a personal residence/movie set. The movie deal fell through and so did his financing, so the design got compromised at the end and many of the high security features were not installed, including the basement level. Feel free to contact me for additional details.

Joel Skousen

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: