Radiation protection factors/ difference

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: The Secure Home (FAQ): Radiation protection factors/ difference
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Matt Bradley

Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 08:35 pm Click here to edit this post
Hello,
Just like to thank Mr. Skousen for this website,
I've recently read both secure home and strategic relocation. my question is in the secure home, you give protection factors for different materials, but they differ from values given in 'no such thing as doomsday' by Phillip Hoag. In his book the thicknesses are greater. I hope yours are right, but just wanted to check. Thankyou
Matt

Edward McGhee (Emcghee)

Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 08:47 pm Click here to edit this post
It's not a totally exact science. Reasons for variations could be purity of the radiation source, amount of carbon in steel tested, amount of water in soil tested, etc.

Water (hydrogen that is) is the best insulation against neutron radiation. gamma radiation shielding essentially is blocked by mass density. Alpha and Beta radiation are of relatively little concern.

I tend to agree with Hoag's values. Some values quoted from older printed material use radiation sources that are not as pure as perhaps newer data suggests.

anyway, consider them as a fairly accurate rule of thumb, and go long on the side of safety margin.

When buying supplies, keep your eyes peeled. there's someone to rip you off at every turn.

Jass Wong

Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 11:53 pm Click here to edit this post
hello, Hello, I am a health physic student in Malaysia.

1) I would like to know about the radiation protection design for a nuclear lab, especially for control area. Please give me more information about the
a) wall design
b) ceiling design
c) floor design
d) door design
base on material used, types of design and how it works.

2) How many types of monitoring device which is used to measure the dose absorbed by a radiation worker. (Here, we usually use film badge and Thermoluminescent Dosemeter Ring(TLD))
Can you list out the monitoring device and give some explanation.

For the question above, if you can't give me the answer, can you please give me some website address relate to my question?
Thank you very much

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: