Reverse osmosis filters

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: The Secure Home (FAQ): Reverse osmosis filters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

catfish

Friday, February 08, 2002 - 06:22 pm Click here to edit this post
The section on recommended products and services does not include any sources for reverse osmosis filters. Do any of you recommend a particular manufacturer or vendor?

I know Joel isn't too keen on this type of filtration in his book, but suffice it to say this solution is best for my needs.

Darrell Ostler (Dostler)

Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 11:05 am Click here to edit this post
I recently bought a system from R&M manufacturing in Lindon, Utah. Their address is 28 South 1550 West, Lindon, Utah 84042. Their phone number is 801-785-5557.

Their units are less expensive than competitors and they are well built. Their filters are not too expensive. What I really like about this unit is that it has a check valve that shuts the system down when pure water is not being generated. This saves water, money, and if you have a septic sytem, it will prevent your drain field from becoming clogged. These are all good reasons to have one for shelter use.

Joel doesn't like them because the RO system requires high pressure to push the water through the small micron filter. And in an emergency, you may not have high pressure water coming into the house. I am toying with the idea of building an emergency system where I can artificially pressurize a holding tank, which will act as a source for the RO system.

I like the "non" taste of the RO water and the support and service from this company is superb. They checked my system out at no charge just because I asked them to. That type of customer service is hard to come buy in metro areas these days.

I plan to buy several systems in the near future for my parents and my mother-in-law. Reason? I can't stand to drink their water when I visit. We should see if we can get together a bulk order and save some money. Put me down for 2.

Catfish

Monday, February 18, 2002 - 06:30 pm Click here to edit this post
Thanks for the information.

When I contacted R&M they informed me that they only sell wholesale and even then only in very large quantities. I'm not sure how you bought from them directly.

In any case, I've done a lot more research and I think I will purchase the SQC Pro. Best price I've found is 695 (which is $500 cheapter than a local company tried to take me for!).

http://www.thewatersourceltd.com/reverse_osmosis.html

Darrell Ostler (Dostler)

Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 02:03 pm Click here to edit this post
Seven hundred dollars seems like a lot. RM water has one wholesale for just over $200.00 (so I am told). Retail may be between 300 and 400. I got mine from an RM employee who no longer works there so my source is gone. But did you ask them for a dealer in your area? I'm sure they'd give you that. I'd be interested to know how RM's unit compares to the one you have found. I still think you could save some money if you can find a source. Let me know if you find something.

Catfish

Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 07:27 pm Click here to edit this post
Yes, $700 is a bundle. It only sounds reasonable to me after speaking with a local salesman who wanted to sell me one for $1200! Talk about a rip-off!

I did ask about dealers in my area--that's how I first got in touch with the guy making a 100% profit.

I will contact R&M one more time and see if I can find a reasonable dealer. However, I still don't have any specs on their system so it's hard to compare it with alternatives.

Darrell Ostler (Dostler)

Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 11:33 am Click here to edit this post
I called RM again because I just can't let something go when it isn't right. I talked to another guy I know there who assembles units. I went out on a limb and asked if he ever had any trade in or used units that they recondition. He sent me to a salesman and I started to worry that I'd hit a dead end. I just came out and told him I wanted a unit in the 200-300 dollar range. I said these dealers are just asking too much. He said, "How much?" When I said 700, he said, "I agree that is too much. It is probably a dealer with a large sales staff, a fancy retail place, and a lot of overhead." He then put me on hold.

When he came back he said he has a special arrangement with a local dealer who works out of their home (no overhead). I guess they supply contractors and such. He said he can get me a 36 gal/day, 5-stage unit for just under $300.00 dollars. I asked if there was a restriction or a minimum on the number we could buy. He said no. I asked him more on the specs of the unit and he agreed to fax a brochure to me.

He also said it is a 3/8'' line size rather than 1/4 inch (better flow characteristics). I think I am going to buy one for my parents. I forgot to ask him how much the filters are but if they are like my unit, they are very reasonable. Send me a message to my E-mail address and include your fax number so I can send you a copy of the brochure. Or we can talk on the phone.

unkeled

Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 06:10 pm Click here to edit this post
Premier Systems in Phoenix manufactures a three stage and four stage reverse Osmosis system. Costco Stocks them for $150.00. The filter systems are standard sizes and you can substitute for all filters except the RO membrane. RO membranes must be stored properly if bought in advance. Others items can be procured at many home improvement stores. Installation is possible for a "do it yourselfer" under sink. I have put two of them in in two different locations and have been very satisfied with them. They will not filter out submicron materials (< 1 micron) nor are they reliable against certain bio hazards. But for the price, and the quality of the water, they are a first start.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: