Monolithic Domes

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: The Secure Home (FAQ): Monolithic Domes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

zville123

Friday, August 16, 2002 - 10:45 am Click here to edit this post
I scanned through the previous messages to see if anyone else had asked about using a Monolithic Dome home as a preparedness home and didn't see it mentioned. I'm currently reading "The Secure Home" and I'm starting Chapter 5: What Do You Want In A Home? My husband and I recently checked out the web site for Monolithic Domes and were impressed with the many advantages to that design. My only concern is that dome homes are unusual (at least where I live, but we plan on relocating) and would the design draw undo attention? When we buy the land, we'll be looking for a layout that would not have the house visible from the road, regardless of the design. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

susancarter

Friday, August 16, 2002 - 11:50 am Click here to edit this post
I, too, have been studying their website on monolithic domes for a couple years and have concluded they are the best bet in a high wind situation as well as fire, good for snow, it falls off easily and so forth. The shape is weird to our eyes though. I was just discussing yesterday with a builder friend the concept. He suggested burying the dome and building a more conventional home on top. That way we could access the safety features of the dome, but still have a more conventional home. Anyone thought about doing something like that?

zville123

Friday, August 16, 2002 - 12:38 pm Click here to edit this post
On the Monolithic Dome site, there was one home that was completely underground with tunnel entrances from each side (compensation was made in amount of rebar and cement). I got the impression that most dome builders feel that having an underground or earth-bermed dome is over kill (and requires careful attention to thorough waterproofing), since the normal dome structure is resistant to fire, tornado, etc. When I looked at the photos of the construction process, it was interesting to see the way the rebar is integrated into the structure...almost like a giant Faraday cage or box...although I think the spacing is too large...and you'd probably have to rig something up for the windows (if above ground). Personally, I think one of the smaller domes would make a good underground shelter!

John Rogowsky (Jrogowsk)

Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 04:21 pm Click here to edit this post
I just got back from attending the September 2002 dome building workshop at the Monolithic facility.
My goals in attending were to determine how difficult it was to build one of these structures, what the advantages and disadvantages were, and how much they really cost, etc.
I was very impressed to say the least.
They are not really that difficult to build assuming you have the right tools, knowledge, and some rudimentary building skills. They are basically weatherproof and near indestructable.
Anything that might even damage a dome would level a conventional/traditional house. E.g. tornadoes, hurricanes, and the like. On a per square foot basis, the cost of an unfinished dome is about the same as a conventional house. But the beauty part is there is virtually no maintenance, and heating/cooling costs are a fraction of what it would cost for a comparable sticks and nails structure. Typically on the order of a quarter.
Anyone interested should look at the treasure trove of details on their site which is http://www.monolithic.com.
Be sure to check out the articles on the "The 'R' Fairy Tale" concerning insulation fallacies, "Building Survivability", and "Heating And Cooling Systems." BTW, I found it interesting that many of the small domes can be cooled with an RV air conditioner sitting on the top!
If you have the construction skills, tools, and time, building one yourself drives the costs way down. If not, and you are still interested in having one, you should definitely attend a dome building workshop anyway for no other reason than that you will be able to ascertain whether your builder is doing a proper/quality job or if he's taking you to the cleaners and constructing you a nightmare, as there are many "gotchas" if one doesn't know what they're doing.
I hope this helped. BTW, I have no financial interest or connection to the Dome Institue.

Tristan Zamudio

Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 07:38 pm Click here to edit this post
We will be building a Monolithic Dome Home in a few years. I am convinced Monolithic Domes are the safest structures live in. It's hard for me to give up my dream of a southern plantation type house so I designed my own dome. Part of it is above ground and will look like a normal home. Another part will be totally underground and entered by a secret passage. You really can have it all with MDH'S.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: