Protective Radiation Suit

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: The Secure Home (FAQ): Protective Radiation Suit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Rookie

Friday, November 15, 2002 - 11:09 am Click here to edit this post
Found this article on the web:

http://europe.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/11/13/radiation.suit.reut/

This company claims to have made a radiation proof suit. Can anyone provide more info on this suit? If it truly works, it might well be a cost effective temporary alternative to a secure "fallout" room. Also would be mighty nice to have stored in your trunk in case you got caught away from home.

I work in an office building with a physics instructor. I'm going to ask him what he thinks. I suspect this suit is only good against very low energy radiation like used in an xray machine. But even at this low level it might be a worthy product.

New at this stuff,
Rookie

ipfreely

Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 01:42 pm Click here to edit this post
Here is the URL for the company. They claim it blocks alpha, beta, gamma and x-rays. Looks like they are planning on producing materials that can be used in construction.

http://www.radshield.com/index.html

This New Scientist article on the fabric.

http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/tech/article.jsp?id=99993050&sub=Hot%20Stories

Sure would like to see your comments.

Hank

Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 11:56 am Click here to edit this post
The problem is that the material does NOT protect against the HIGH energy range of Gamma rays, which are the ones we need 12" of concrete to block (as I understand from Joel's book).

Kay

Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 12:49 pm Click here to edit this post
Nitro-Pak and other companies began selling a similar suit a year or two ago. In a consultation with Joel last year I asked him about the suits that sell for $100-300 each, which the manufacturer claims will offer people protection from nuclear fallout. He didn't seem impressed with the suits, although he recommended many other products that Nitro-Pak sells. Joel pointed out the same thing as what Hank says--"The material does NOT protect against the HIGH energy range of Gamma rays." If nuclear fallout is the issue, you still need to be underground in a shelter. There's just no substitute for all that concrete and a properly constructed shelter.

I also heard Joel say once if don't have a shelter prepared, at the very least, go to the basement, preferably where two walls form the corner. This will offer at least minimum protection and is better than remaining above ground during those high risk weeks when you'll get VERY sick and suffer permanent health damage--or worse--if you stay above ground.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: