Welcome from Joel Skousen

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: The Secure Home (FAQ): Welcome from Joel Skousen
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Joel Skousen

Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 09:35 pm Click here to edit this post
Welcome aboard,

I have written The Secure Home as a way of helping more people prepare for long-term strategic threats than I could otherwise help with my design and consultation work only. It is specifically written for the do-it-yourselfer in mind. It should be used in tandem with Strategic Relocation so that you don't put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak, especially if your home is in one of the major urban centers which is subject to future social unrest.

It isn't required that you buy the book or read it before participating here, but it is highly recommended. In its 700 pages you'll find a lot of valuable information, gleaned from my 25 years of experience in the field. It would be counterproductive for me to have to repeat all of this information for each person who had a question. Rather, what this forum is about is to give readers a chance to ask for clarification or further amplification on the wide range of issues brought up in the book.

It is also for those of you have have other opinions about any subject in preparedness or survival, and to post those opinions for discussion. Always try to start a new topic when introducing a new subject. This allows me and other visitors to comment in an orderly manner. Later on, people can more easily reference a thread about a specific subject.

Since I support my family with my books and consultation services, I ask that you be conscious of the difference between this forum and the need for personal consultation. I will only answer questions here that are of interest to the rest of the forum--things like opinions on products or general survival strategies. If you have personal questions that only relate to your particular home or situation, those are mostly appropriate for personal consultation for which I should be compensated. If you are too poor to afford my services, let me know and we'll work something out. Above all I don't want anyone going unprepared for the future problems that we face.

So, come join in the discussions. Your opinions are welcome. I have a lot of experience, but can always learn more--so don't be shy. As Red Green always says, "remember, we're all in this together."

Best,
Joel Skousen

Thirsty

Monday, March 20, 2000 - 05:21 am Click here to edit this post
From the recommendation in one of Joels books I purchased the AquaPrima II water purification system. Unfortunately, when connected to tap where the public system uses a lot of chlorine, I still taste the chlorine. It is almost as if the thing doesn't work at all. Does anyone else own this system and have you had problems with it? Any solutions?

After I purchased the AquaPrima II, I read Joel's other book and a different system is recommended. What I wanted was something somewhat portable. Our home system is built in under the sink and as long as I keep changing the charcoal filter, all it well. Any recommendations for something like (as portable as) the AquaPrima II that works?

joel

Tuesday, March 28, 2000 - 11:35 pm Click here to edit this post
All the Chlorine filters on the market (the best ones) use the KDF/GAC dual filters like AquaPrima, so I Can't figure out why you should be having such dismal results. May I suggest you get some chlorine test strips (paper) and test the chlorine content before and after the filter so we'll have some scientific results. If there is no difference then you have a defective unit which should be returned. If you have significant chlorine reduction then the public water taste problem might be some other factor. Keep me posted at my email joel@joelskousen.com and then we'll post the final results back here.

Joel Skousen

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: