Is Camp Williams (Utah) Nuclear Target?

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: Strategic Relocation: Relocation Discussions: Is Camp Williams (Utah) Nuclear Target?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

James Norton (Jnorton)

Friday, August 03, 2001 - 05:52 pm Click here to edit this post
My wife and I are considering purchasing a house in Saratoga, a few miles south of Camp Williams, near point of the mountain between Utah and Salt Lake counties. Does anyone happen to know if Camp Williams, (which does not seem to be a major installation) happens to be a target in the event of nuclear war? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

James

JJames

Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 02:36 pm Click here to edit this post
Take a look at www.webpal.org/list.htm. This site shows target areas for any state in the union.

Kay

Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 01:46 am Click here to edit this post
The problem with most nuclear target maps found on the Internet, such as the ones at www.webpal.org, is that these are the old FEMA maps from 1990--13-years old now so much of the info is outdated. Take my own state--Ohio--for example. I read on the Internet that the Air Force base in Newark, OH was a primary target. At first, I started to panic. But this AFB closed around 1995-96, so it's no longer on the "doomed places" list. Nothing of importance has been there in recent years or is there now.

I heard that Joel is currently working on revising his strategic relocation book, so all the updated info on target areas, safe and unsafe cities and more should be available in the near future. Joel's lists are the only ones I trust since much of the info on the Internet is inaccurate. Besides, I want to know that someone with past military experience, like Joel has, analyzed the data, so I don't waste time reading unknown authors' disinfo on the Internet. Or worse yet, so we don't waste money on a big move when maybe relocating wasn't necessary.

As for James Norton's question above about Utah targets, in Joel's '98 relocation book he listed Hill AFB and Tooele Army Depot as probable UT target areas during war. But, especially in the Clinton era, many bases closed or things may have been moved to new locations. The best way to know for sure is to check in Joel's relocation book--preferably the new one when it's published this year or next. Or if you don't want to wait that long, I'd contact him directly at joel@joelskousen.com and inquire about or set up a private consulting session.

That's what I did--told him our location, described our personal situation as well as our fears to have him look over our shoulders to point out the potential threats he saw headed our way and explain how we should or shouldn't respond. I learned from discussing my area with Joel that what I thought was a threat isn't one, and what I had no idea was nearby or dangerous ended up being the thing we need to monitor closely in the future. Anyway, the consultation I had with Joel was well worth the money. Now I can rest peacefully at night instead of lying awake, worrying whether or not we may be living in a city that's a primary target during war. My motto is when in doubt, go check with someone in the know like Joel. Better to be safe than sorry. Who wants to find out too late that you were living on a blast zone and didn't know it?

Darrell Ostler (Dostler)

Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:18 am Click here to edit this post
So is Camp Williams a target?

Steve Stock

Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:41 pm Click here to edit this post
In an email I received from Joel Skousen in 2003, after I'd asked him the same question when the topic of Camp Williams arose, he responded, "Camp Williams is not a nuclear target so far--unless there are secret underground depots or command centers that I am not aware of."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: