WHICH STATE?

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: Strategic Relocation: Relocation Discussions: WHICH STATE?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

B G

Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 01:04 pm Click here to edit this post
I've just read both of Mr.Skousen's books,The Secure Home and Strategic Relocation.I have some questions about the right area to move to.My wife and I live in northern New Jersey and would like to stay in the east.We don't have the time or money to visit each state that intrests us.Were looking for a secure place to live,as well as a decent job market,and good health care.We'd like your opinions of which of the following states(any specific area ,county,towns) would be worth a more in-depth look?Maine,New Hampshire,New York,Pennsylvania,Virginia,Kentucky and Tennessee.With the research I have already done both through Mr.Skousn's books and other sources,these states seem to offer some closer inspection.Thankyou for your help.

Jones (Bjones)

Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 06:26 pm Click here to edit this post
I know Kentucky and unless you live in Louiville, Franklin, or Bowling Green there is no jobs. But one good thing about the other areas in Kentucky is that there are lots of caves. We lived in central (Columbia) Kentucky before and during Y2K and found good areas for hidding and places to bury food and supplies. The caves are dry and a constant tempurature. They are scattered all over the forests. Plenty of game too. But jobs were factory jobs there and they all moved out of the country. All areas are depressed. Property is cheap though. Hope this helps.

Charles Rippel (Ripple)

Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 10:58 pm Click here to edit this post
Western VA is quite good. Around the Wythville area north to about Rockbridge County (Lexington) over the W.VA line and back down. Fairly low tax state (REAL LOW compared to what you are used to). Its a right-to-carry/must issue state, if thats important to you.

Again as above, not many jobs but a great place to work from home if you can do it.

Almonzo

Monday, October 01, 2001 - 10:26 am Click here to edit this post
Add Lexington to the list of economically alive parts of Kentucky.

I work in Louisville, KY and live an hour's drive west in southern Indiana. See my comments under the Indiana heading. Louisville is large enough to offer a good selection of employment opportunities, but small enough (around 1 million population) that there is plenty of nice rural property within commuting distance.

I remember that I heard of quite a few people relocating to southwestern Tennessee in preparation for y2k. Franklin Sanders (The Moneychanger) is one Tennessean who went rural there. Check the rural articles on his site.

http://www.the-moneychanger.com/index.html

No state income tax there, and they have recently fought off a couple of stealthy attempts by their politicians to establish one in the dead of the night.

Ted Brownlie (Tedt)

Sunday, October 07, 2001 - 02:15 am Click here to edit this post
Northern New England which would include Maine,New Hampshire and Vermont are good choices to relocate.. Military bases have closed in these states which is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT because there won't be any nuclear strikes.. However- there is a Navy shipbuilding port at Portsmouth,NH located on the south eastern border with Maine.. And the Pentagon does have research facilities in some of these states.. I do not know if these would be primary targets of Russian nuclear attacks.. You will have to do research here and consult with Joel over the phone.. New Englanders are tough, miserable and neurotic people.. They are a pain in the ••• to deal with.. They gossip like crazy and are extremely naive concerning how the world really works(conspiracy,NWO,etc.).. So it is very wise to keep your strategic preparations private.. And do not go out of your way to make new friends and risk having people notify the police about your stockpilng of food and water.. Citizens from these states love to call on authorities to handle their problems.. Strong dependency here.. Alot of negative profiling here but it's the truth.. I grew up in Massachusetts and lived extensively in Maine and New Hampshire.. These states do have good points about them though.. They are more conservative than Massachusetts and have excellent gun laws..And the people are more nature friendly and warm than people from Massachusetts.. Alot of trees and wilderness.. Huge lakes.ponds and rivers..The downside is a lack of survival communities which Utah has.. However, if you visit Bruce Beach's website you can find several nuclear survival groups in some of these regions.. You will have to do your homework.. More information avaible upon request.. Just ask... Ted

Ted Brownlie (Tedt)

Sunday, October 07, 2001 - 02:41 am Click here to edit this post
I forgot to mention towns.. My favorite would be North Conway,NH and Bridgton,Me.. These towns have low population levels but alot of banks,resteurants,upscale retail shops,cinemas,hotels,motels,recreation such skiing,fishing,mountain climbing,nature walks.etc.. Alot of trees and ponds, and two huge lakes called Sebago in Maine.. Conway and Bridgton are directly east/west of each other.. 30 minute drive by car.. The homes are cheap and there are alot of nice ones avaible.. You can rent too if you want.. There are modern condos in Conway.. The schools are very good.. There are prestigious private academys in Maine and New Hampshire.. Grades 7-12.. Most of these kids go on to the Ivy League and West Point as well as Annapolis.. Bridgton Academy is the oldest post high school and one year school in the United States.. It gives teenagers one year of school who have already graduated from high school but need another year of schooling to mature and get good grades to get into top colleges.. College level courses are offered and students receive college credit before they arrive at their chosen univerity.. But it's expensive.. Tuition and room/board costs well over 20,000 a year.. I also like thes towns because you can hide very easily with alot of backroads and dirt paths.. More information upon request.. Ted

Robert Brown

Sunday, October 07, 2001 - 02:43 am Click here to edit this post
About 15 years ago a man at Mission BC Canada looked at world maps and decided that the safest place in the world for his family right out of any risk of nuclear or other war danger was the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic. He moved them there and about a year later what happened? The Falkland Islands War alias Malvinas if you were Argentinian and this family was stuck in its house for 2 weeks while Britain and Argentina fought a nasty turf war with latest ship to air and air to ship missiles. At their first chance the family moved back to Canada. (True story) I think everyone should just get themself a big rubber suit to wear with a good zipper on it. That way, when the biobomb has gone off you can zip it up and PRESTO! -- you are already in your own private bodybag!

Jones (Bjones)

Sunday, October 07, 2001 - 11:39 am Click here to edit this post
Isn't it a little too cold in NH? If the power goes off for any lenghth of time you'd freeze. We live on the border of southern Alabama in the back woods. There is fruit and nuts on the trees all year. Everyone has guns here. There is a bit of truth in the old saying, "a country boy WILL survive." It doesn't get near as cold either. It would be pretty hard to freeze or starve here. Maybe you Yanks know how to survive in that cold, but brrrrr, not us southern folks...

Charles Rippel (Ripple)

Sunday, October 07, 2001 - 12:29 pm Click here to edit this post
BJ, you make an excellent point. One thing that is often not considered is the climate and further, how that relates to the growing season. Alabama is a great place and has the interm advantave of being the lowest overall tax state in the union.

Ted Brownlie (Tedt)

Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 01:11 am Click here to edit this post
If one lives in upper ME,NH and VE you get the canadian artic front that stays until winter is over.. Temperatures with wind chill effect averages around 5 degrees F to - 30 degrees F.. Very cold! But consider this- because the environment is brutal not too many United Nations forces are going to be stationed there.. When world government arrives on the scene.. And all the radiation from nuclear explosions from the west coast and the interior, will travel eastward.. One has to consider these stark realities.. I'm a hardcore Yankee so i might stay in the northeast,but have not decided yet.. I feel the southern states are too near entry points of foreign troops.. Florida, Texas, Louisiana,Arizona,and Alabama have vapor thin lines.. It is these states that have the easiest entry.. From these locations the interior of America can be reached.. And do not forget people, that most of your FEMA internment camps are located here.. None are found in upper New England.. And I Mean None!! Maybe some of you survivalist should do this- seek discomfort and misery,but survive! Instead of looking for what the masses do, seeking pleasure and pain free living.. Be a contrarian and live.. Ted

piecesofamerica

Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 04:13 am Click here to edit this post
I want to move to Pennsylvania or Maine... Does anyone want to pitch in pros or cons for the above choices? Thank you much

CBerryment

Friday, October 19, 2001 - 02:58 am Click here to edit this post
BG and others,
I am a native of Maine living in upstate NY while I go to school. Not only is Maine a beautiful place to live, the people are wonderful. In Maine, I fear little. Other than the former "Tel-Star", Eurolink sat in Andover, there would be no reason for a country to "waste" nukes on the state. There are no poisonus animals, and violent crime is almost non-existent in many areas. For highly paying office jobs, you usually have to go to the cities. But in Maine, the norm is for rural areas to surround cities, not the other way around, so you could easily commute 1/2 hour or 45 minutes to work as many Mainers do.

My area of knowledge centers around the western part of Maine. The area directly north of Portland is rural, yet within striking distance of the cities job oppurtunities. There is a nice are north-east of Auburn/Lewiston that has this same quality...

If you leed any more info, feel free to e-mail me! mag222@hotmail.com

Linda Swartout

Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 11:41 pm Click here to edit this post
BG, we are selling our 6 acre homestead in the Appalachian mountains of SW Virginia - In Strategic Relocation, Joel says this is in the top-rated area in the entire eastern seaboard. We have access to excellent healthcare, and for such a rural area, the job market available within a reasonable commute is pretty good. Let me know if you're interested or want any more information. swartout@swva.net

Charles Rippel (Ripple)

Friday, October 26, 2001 - 12:19 pm Click here to edit this post
You hit that nail right on the head! They also want to involve the government to solve anything from a hangnail, right up to their neighbors owning a "terrible" gun....

"New Englanders are tough, miserable and neurotic people.. They are a pain in the ••• to deal with.. They gossip like crazy and are extremely naive concerning how the world really works...."

Rudy Myster

Friday, October 26, 2001 - 07:16 pm Click here to edit this post
Does anyone have any info on Texas? Preferably longview, Tyler or anyplace at least 50 miles from Dallas.

Thank-you.

zville123

Wednesday, November 07, 2001 - 09:40 am Click here to edit this post
Well, any info. on SE OH? Where would be the safest location there? Pros/cons?

the couch potato

Sunday, December 30, 2001 - 10:50 pm Click here to edit this post
I live in Missouri. This state is "patriot heaven." I think there are more dissidents in Missouri than in Montana, and we are alot smarter, because we have never caused an insurrection with our dissident ways. Instead, we stay to ourselves, run talk radio shows on Genesis Communications Networks (like Joyce Reilly and many others).

Missouri is a cheap state with lots of timber in the southern Ozarks, cheap little farms down there, cheap houses in the St. Louis area by comparison with those on the coasts, and a population that is religious, uptight on certain issues, and yet willing to let you pretty much do what you want.

One of the best things about Missouri is that the taxes are fairly low in the rural areas. I know that in Ava, Missouri you can buy a house for under $20,000 that is pretty fair in shape, and the taxes are just $80 a year or less there.

You can buy a field outside of Ava for about $300 an acre and farm it all you want with a tiller or tractor.

The woods are teaming with wild turkey, raccoons, opposums, deer, quail, squirrels, rabbits, foxes, cyotes, wolves, bear. Up north add pheasant and chukar.

The best thing is that no one wants to live in Missouri. That means that housing and farms are relatively cheap, as demand is very low. If you buy a farm in the north, the land is totally flat and mostly 100% tillable. Down in the hills, there's only 5% tillable and they sell both sides of a hill, meaning that an acre is what is walked off on the ground and not how you'd see it from an overhead airplane measurement looking down.

I was born and raised here, and I am a fairly skeptical curmudgeon and mostly doubt almost every government pronouncement, and I consider myself living in occupied territory by an out of control D.C. tyrant/mafia. I have a radio show where I literally say every non-p.c. thing I want, but it's the only station in the world that would tolerate that sort of thing.

I hope that alot of you won't come to Missouri, because the more is NOT the merrier. Au'contraire, LESS is the merrier, cause you won't be bidding up what I have to pay for goods and land.

So, stay away, please.

G. Ray

Friday, July 05, 2002 - 09:07 am Click here to edit this post
I have owned a 200ac. farm in the Ozarks for 13 years and have lived here since 1999. Couch Potato is correct in his post but I would like to add a few tidbits. Missouri has a rather high (in my opinion) state income tax - 6% in the highest bracket and there is no deduction for private pensions. Then there is the personal property tax every year. Farm animals, cars, tractors, trailers etc. are taxed every year, although the total dollar amount is small it is still a tax. The flip side is that property taxes are very low. There are very few jobs in my area and most pay minimum wage. People are simply wonderful. There is a meth problem (as in most rural areas) but our local sheriff seems to have it under control. Summers are very hot and humid but with good rainfall and air conditioning it is tolerable. Spring and Fall are very comfortable and last longer than many other areas. Electric rates are less than 5 cents per KW/hour so it is cheap to run the A/C. There are many creeks and rivers in my area; my farm has 3 creeks. Although MO has its drawbacks it is one of the better all around locations.

Tom S

Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 01:21 am Click here to edit this post
I live in NJ. At the end of this year I'm retiring from the Army. (Civ employee) I'm thinking of retiring/relocating to upper New Hampshire in Grafton County.

I have skills that are marketable over in VT as well as in places like Hanover NH.

Anybody out there that has any info on this area they'd care to share? (e.g. good or bad re this location)

TNX

samantha

Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 12:05 am Click here to edit this post
if the person interested in tyler or longview area of texas will email me privately I will be glad to provide whatever information he/she requires. I live in Tyler now. Does anyone have an opinion about Arizona? I wanted to relocate to the northeastern corner in the white mountains. Opinions?

unkeled

Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 07:10 pm Click here to edit this post
Interested in Arizona or close by

Would be very interested in opinions concerning Arizona or possibly states bordering. Don't want to move to a cold climate, but don't want to be in a large urban area.

All thoughts appreciated

And Thank You.

Ed.

shoots (Gedwards)

Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 07:29 am Click here to edit this post
nanotech http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2758191.stm

JanetCarpenter

Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 01:45 pm Click here to edit this post
I live in south eastern Arizona and am thinking of moving to Ruidoso New Mexico. Any ideas? I am getting a little nervous because I am only 4 miles from the Mexican border. The Border Patrol has been catching Iraqies and Chinese and other odd things are going on down here, went to Ruidoso NM and loved it problem is White Sand's Missle Range is within 125 miles Almorgodo NM is 40 miles or so away with a airforce base there. Los Almos is 160 miles or so away. Good thing though is Ruidoso is in the mountains plenty of water ect...

Kay

Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 02:29 pm Click here to edit this post
Janet, if you aren't already a World Affairs Brief subscriber, you need to get a copy of Joel's 2-21-03 brief, which is a detailed analysis of the US-Mexico border problem and what we should or shouldn't expect to happen regarding this problem in the future.

It may also interest you that I read at Radio Liberty's web site that Joel will discuss the Mexican corruption and border wars topic with Dr. Stan Monteith on 2-28-03 at 9 p.m. PST (midnight EST). You can listen online on Friday at http://www.radioliberty.com. They usually take calls and let listeners address specific questions, such as yours, to Joel, which he answers on the air.

Janet Carpenter

Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 03:01 pm Click here to edit this post
Kay- Read the article just now and will try to listen to the show Thanks for the info. A border patrol agent from San Deigo whom I became friends with was stationed here for a while the last thing he told me before he went back to San Deigo was that I needed to get out of here and further away from this border. He said he could not elaborate on the reason's why but just take his advice and go. Well Ruidoso's further from the border but maybe not far enough I wish I could afford Mr Skousen's advice and a private consultation but I can't so I am relying on what free info I can get on the internet. Thanks for your help.

Kay

Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 04:12 pm Click here to edit this post
Janet: The border agent probably gave you wise counsel. I'm not sure about Ruidoso or where it's located, but I feel certain about one thing: I'll bet Joel Skousen would tell your border agent friend that he also needs to move away from San Diego. In Joel's book, STRATEGIC RELOCATION: NORTH AMERICAN GUIDE TO SAFE PLACES, and I think it's also posted at the Strategic Relocation link at this web site, San Diego is listed as a primary nuclear target for whenever the next big war hits. I don't mean war with Iraq, but a future bigger war that Joel says involves Russia and China attacking the U.S. You can read his analysis about the coming big war by clicking on links at the home page of this web site.

Janet Carpenter

Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 02:46 pm Click here to edit this post
Thanks Kay, I read it I also told him what Mr Skousen said about San Deigo he was aware of that and said he had only a few years there but I wonder if he will get out in time. The problem with Ruidoso is its close to White Sands Missle Range 100 miles away Roswell NM is about 70 miles away downwind and Los Almos is about 160 or more miles away up wind what I like about it is the water supply is abundent and in Lincoln County the whole population is less than twenty thousand One thing I plan to do if I move there is getting to know the area very well. Sometimes I feel I am banging my head against a wall though, is any place really safe?

Janet Carpenter

Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 02:53 pm Click here to edit this post
Kay I have no doubt about the China Russia war from the time I was a teenager I started having weird dreams about just that, well now I am 44 and am still having the dreams. I fully believe that they are prophetic since 9 out 10 of my dreams come true. I have a feeling Mr. Skousen will go down in history as someone that the American people will have wished they had listened to.

Shaun Stone

Friday, February 28, 2003 - 11:04 pm Click here to edit this post
I live in Iowa and am considering having a retreat here. I have Strategic Relocation and have read it thoroughly. The problem is that Mr. Skousen does not say much of anything about Iowa. There is a lot of wooded land out here that if your in the right spot you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. Can anyone help me out with some information on this. Shaun

marylouis

Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:15 pm Click here to edit this post
Janet,
I cannot believe what you wrote about a war with China/Russia and dreams. I have been scared to death for years because of a dream I had when I was a child involving a Chinese invasion of this country. I saw scenes of places around where I now live with hundreds and thousands of Chinese soldiers marching. I am now 55 years old and many of my dreams have come true also. I try not to think about it, but when I hear of things like what was happening in Long Beach, CA. and the presence of Chinese in Panama, my dream scenario becomes all too real. I just pray to have courage for whatever God allows to happen, but I also pray maybe this is one dream I will never experience. Mary

Mark Mitchell

Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 08:28 am Click here to edit this post
Hi!
I'm surprised I haven't seen any posts here about the 4-corners area (UT,CO,NM,AZ)...
since lots of this area is reservation land and pretty far from any nuke sites and such...
seems like a great place to me!

Janet Carpenter

Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 02:05 pm Click here to edit this post
Mark go to Yahoo type in HOPI Indians and see what you get read their predictions on armegeddon very interesting

Hilary_155

Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:25 pm Click here to edit this post
Hello. I think that somewhere near the west coast of northern north America or Canada has some important selling points. In terms of genetic crop pollution and radiation fallout... you would want to the winds to blow in from the ocean. This way radiation or GM pollen is not being brought to you location in the wind.

Comments?

Miss Ayla

Friday, February 27, 2004 - 02:53 am Click here to edit this post
any one from california? i would like a warm coastal location, if at all possible, with fresh water sources and room for gardens and orchards. converting homes to solar seems easier than finding them already done like that. joel mentioned santa rosa, but i wonder about santa cruz as i understand they are very good about energy alternatives, buses run on biodiesel, etc. i'm currently in san diego and wish to relocated accordingly.

David Haynes (Haynesdavid)

Monday, December 13, 2004 - 01:05 am Click here to edit this post
Are there any missile silos or MAJOR military bases in Arkansas, Missouri , or Iowa.?

I have not read the book, but a friend from Misery once recommended the place.

It's number one on my check list and ARKkansas is 2nd.

:*>

(please, will someone reveal their choice of states?)

David Haynes (Haynesdavid)

Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 01:54 am Click here to edit this post
I've bean thinking of growing a herd of EMU in Arkkansas or maybe Misery.

Anybody ever raise any EMU ?

Hannah Miller (Honorbond)

Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 12:54 pm Click here to edit this post
After reading Joel's book Strategic Relocation, I've narrowed it down to 3 A rated areas.

The first, my personal favorite is southwestern Montana. Unfortunately I don't think it is realistic as NONE of my family likes the very cold weather. We currently live in Florida!

My second choice is western NC. We have vacationed in many of the places in the A rated locations.

My third will be northwestern Arkansas. My husband was actally raised in Arkansas, and has fond memories of childhood there.

Of the two southern states, which do ya'll think is the best and why???

Thanks! This is a great site

Lester Leper (Theleper)

Monday, May 29, 2006 - 10:26 am Click here to edit this post
Top 10 US Liberal Cities

Seattle, WA; Newark, NJ; Berkeley, CA; Madison, WI; Portland, OR; Washington, D.C.; Detroit, MI; New York, NY; Boston, MA; San Francisco, CA.
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/blog-detail.php?id=14261
http://millennium-ark.net/NEWS/06_USA/060528.10.liberal.cities.html

Top 10 US Conservative Cities

Cincinnati, OH; Boise, ID; Mesa, AZ; Clarksville, TN; Wichita, KS; Colorado Springs, CO; Abilene, TX; Oklahoma City, OK; Plano, TX; Provo, UT.
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/lists.php?id=14471
http://millennium-ark.net/NEWS/06_USA/060528.10.conserv.cities.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: