Wyoming offers privacy, low taxes, personal security.

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: Strategic Relocation: Relocation Discussions: Wyoming offers privacy, low taxes, personal security.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Bob Taft

Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 11:26 pm Click here to edit this post
Last year our militia age was changed in our constitution from 17 to 35, to 17 to 70!! Our average elevation being higher than other states, we still don't have a half million people. I'm personally wanting to sell out where I am (www.dunlapland.com/site14.html) and move farther off the road. Crime is rare here as everyone is well armed and intend to stay that way. Taxes are low, and politicians are thin. Our state capitol is way down in the SE near Denver where it doesn't bother us much. Independent minded sovereign citizens are always welcome here so come take a look.

HVDC

Saturday, November 03, 2001 - 12:28 pm Click here to edit this post
Whats Casper like? Good Location to settle? Thanks!

zville123

Wednesday, November 07, 2001 - 09:18 am Click here to edit this post
How does Wyoming look in Joel's book? What does he think are the safest locals in Wyoming?

Relocator

Wednesday, November 07, 2001 - 07:00 pm Click here to edit this post
zville123. In the interests of expediency and mail delays and mail concerns (that is, if you are in the process of acquiring Joel's books), I have taken the liberty of posting the following.

Per Joel Skousen's 'Strategic Relocation North American Guide to Safe Places',

"Wyoming. Wyoming is another top rated state, with one of the lowest population densities, low regulations, and no income tax. But its people tend to be more hostile to religion than states like Idaho and Utah. This, as mentioned before, is not atypical of states with a mining and oil industry background. In the flat areas of Wyoming, the wind seems to always be blowing in the winter. The Wyoming plains are a low spot in the continental divide through the Rockies, thus forming a wind channel. To avoid these winds, you must seek out protected locations in the mountains to the north (area A) or to the south around Evanston or Laramie.

A. This is a highly rated retreat area. It excludes Yellowstone National Park, but includes the gorgeous Wind River Range and the Grand Teton area. Land is expensive on the Wyoming side of the Grand Tetons, but the views are worth it. The climate is very cold and rigorous in the winter--not for the faint hearted. The best area is the Star Valley, just south of Jackson Hole and the Tetons--good Christian based, ranch community surrounded by mountains. A rated.

B. The Bighorn Mountains. Very isolated, but more land potential than on the Montana side. B rated.

C. This area is the Wyoming side of the Black Hills National Forest. An excellent retreat zone with a typical continental climate--dry and cold in the winter, and warm and mild in the summer. A- rated.

D. Laramie Mountains, south of Casper. The prime retreat site for those living in Casper. C+ rated.

E. Extension of the Colorado Medicine Bow Mountains. Cold and windy--typically Wyoming, but excellent retreat site for the inhabitants of Laramie and Cheyenne. Cheyenne is close to the most dangerous missile base in the nation--Warren AFB, home of the powerful MX Peacekeepers missiles, plus others. But these missiles are all down wind from this area. A- rated."

Quicksilver

Friday, January 17, 2003 - 07:22 pm Click here to edit this post
Wyoming is indeed a fine place to live, but it does have it's draw backs. Were I live were out of the wind but do have lots and lots of snow. #l draw back is making a living, #2 is land is very high priced, lots of second homes in the area can probably explain part of that. We do have our state planners who like to tell you how to live just not so many as most places. But there only doing what the general American people want, I could go on about the good and the bad but I do love it here. Keep in touch

Vrobison

Friday, May 16, 2003 - 02:58 pm Click here to edit this post
Having grown up and having spent a considerable portion of my life in Wyoming, here is my two cents worth. What Joel wrote in his relocation book makes perfect sense as far as it goes. However, I have never heard any participants in this forum mention the following as one of the factors to weigh when considering a move to Wyoming.

A few years ago a movie starring Steve McQueen entitled “Tom Horn” was released. I recommend that everyone considering a move to Wyoming watch that movie at least twice. This true story addresses a very touchy subject. There are a group of insider bullies who run the state…..everyone who lives there refer to them by various names: “the Good Ol’ Boy Network,” “The Wyoming Mafia etc.” And even less unsavory adjectives have been used to describe this cabal. In essence, the power elite of Wyoming have formed a white collar bully entrenched network that is seamless from top to bottom. It includes the courts, law enforcement, public works employment, the educational system, lawyers and hospitals. In other words, if you think you are simply going to move there and take a “secure” job in one of the sectors that they control, you will be sadly mistaken.

In the movie, Steve McQueen who plays the character Tom Horn is asked to clean up a nasty situation with cattle rustlers. He does an excellent job of cleaning things up until he discovers that there is also rampant political corruption in Wyoming’s establishment. The Good Ol Boy network starts to feel threatened by Tom Horn who is doing his job a little bit too well in the opinion of Wyoming Cattlemen’s Association. They become afraid that something might be traced back to them and those above them. Tom Horn always performed his job by acting on the defense, never on the offence, but unwittingly he still becomes a sacrificial lamb for the entrenched powers that be who are all too eager to project their sins on this Johnny come lately "outsider." They feign victimhood, and commence laying traps and snares to discredit him and to eliminate him. This pattern has been repeating itself thousands of times throughout the history of the state. In fact, here is a likely scenario that might happen if you move there:

Let’s say you accept a teaching position as a way to get established in Wyoming. Here is the game they will play with you: The first week on the job someone will be assigned to check you out. They will pretend that they want to become friends with you and to get to know you better. To sum it up in a few words, they will be trying to determine if you can be assimilated into their white-collar criminal network. They will give you a "test" to pass that will usually involve “looking the other way” while state and federal laws are routinely broken in this or that particular work place. If you resist, they will immediately target you and they will commence the process of destroying your reputation and your career. You will soon discover that you have become the scapegoat for THEIR corruption and THEIR malfeasance. It does not matter which direction you go for help, the bullies up and down the line are all in on it and in the end those who do not assimilate are eliminated from the system. Embezzling is one of their favorite past-times. They will stop at nothing if anyone tries to expose them. You can go all the way to the supreme court of Wyoming and it will not do you any good. They have been building this system up for over a hundred years now, and everyone involved in it knows what they have to do if the system is ever threatened.

It is not just that insider Wyomingites are hostile to religion. They openly accept anyone who is willing to become corrupted and assimilated into their network, but they are hostile and antagonistic towards anyone who stands for correct principles and integrity. The Wyoming cabal is an equal opportunity assimilator of innocent, God-fearing, citizens of all religions. If you are willing to throw away your moral scruples, you will never have a problem dealing with this Wyoming cabal.

If you are going to live in Wyoming, you can survive just fine if your income is not dependent on the local economy, but if it is, they have ways of choking off your income if you ever run afoul of the Wyoming Mafia. If you are good at compartmentalizing and self-justification, you should be able to fit right into this network, otherwise, stay away. Watch the movie “Tom Horn” if you want to see the inner workings of these petty tyrants being put into practice. Steve McQueen did years of research before making the movie. All I can say is that the movie reflects current political realities, even though it was made many years ago. After all, our own “conservative” Vice President, Dick Cheney is a product of Wyoming’s political corruption. Think about that before innocently subjecting yourself to the vicious abuse that this political system is capable of inflicting upon so called “outsiders.” I moved back to Wyoming after being away for 20 years and thought that I would not be treated as an "outsider." I was wrong to assume that, as I lasted only two years among them. “If you have not lived here for five generations then you are an outsider.” Wyoming residents may say this in a joking manner, but they are DEAD SERIOUS.

Montana returnee

Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 04:37 am Click here to edit this post
This is very interesting information about Wyoming. Thank you.

I bought Joel's relocation book and ended up back in Montana, where my paternal extended family originated before moving east. My father was born and raised in Wyoming. After returning to Montana two years ago, I have considered relocating to Wyoming.

Montana's taxes are (in my opinion) awful. (But probably would not look high if you are currently a New York taxpayer). Joel has Wyoming's taxes higher than they seem to be based on what I am seeing. Property taxes there are 1/3 what they are in Montana, plus there is no personal or corporate state income tax.

Also, in looking at developing property in Thermopolis, WY, if we could believe the local authorities, there is much less bureaucratic interference in Wyoming than in Montana.

But you certainly present an interesting addition of information. I will say that in Billings we have run into the "good old boy" factor. Who you are determines what you can get away with when it comes to city planners, etc.

However, two members of my immediate family have returned to Montana and are doing well in real estate investment, despite the corruption that exists in the city government.

I think that the secret in moving to these areas is NOT depending on someone else to give you a job. Not everyone takes to self employment, I know. It takes being willing to study and learn and research . . . and be cautious. But if a person has that bent, probably there are many places that you can make it just fine.

If you have to depend on getting a "job" then I suspect Wyoming would be a tough state. Parts of Montana offer many opportunities for medical professionals, particularly in Billings. People come from all around to the medical corridor in Billings.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: