Where in Colorado?

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: Strategic Relocation: Relocation Discussions: Where in Colorado?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Kevin

Saturday, November 03, 2001 - 11:27 am Click here to edit this post
I just bought Skousen's book and I can't wait to get an answer on this - my wife and I are flying out to Colorado to look at locations. Can someone tell me where in Colorado are the safest places far enough from obvious nuclear targets such as Colo Springs and Denver?

We are looking at Gunnison (SW) and possibly Estes Park (West of Fort Collins which is North Central) at the moment.

thanks - Kevin

Principal (Principal)

Saturday, November 03, 2001 - 02:33 pm Click here to edit this post
Colorado is suspect in my thinking. Feds -- CIA NSA FBI you name it -- are crawling all over.

Even more, my father-in-law was given three acres near Estes Park, on which he built a cabin after WWII. In the 70's, the "National Parks" forced him to sell out, supposedly clearing the area for wildlife habitats. Later it turned out that the culprit was Rockefeller interests, who bought up the land for their own use, using the National Park scheme as a cover. They have the clout to force changes in the law.... The land coerced from my father-in-law was homesteaded by his father, so there's no protection there.

I'd be wary of any land bounded or near wildlife refuses or National or state parks...anywhere. But especially Colorado.

Paulks (Paulks)

Thursday, November 08, 2001 - 05:09 pm Click here to edit this post
I live in Colorado and am also keeping an eye open for rural property.

An acquaintance with a ranch near Estes Park has had to re-drill his well several times in the past 40 years because of minor earthquakes that cracked his well casing. The area is beautiful, though.

Gunnison is dry, and gets very cold in winter.

Water is a key concern for most areas east of the continental divide. Denver gets a scant 15" of rainfall per year.

I personally am looking for property within two hours drive of Denver, so Gunnison would be too far away for me. I need to balance access to the city with remoteness.

Jones (Bjones)

Thursday, November 08, 2001 - 05:36 pm Click here to edit this post
Gunnison is way up in the mountains. Its small for a city. In the woods there are streams for water and fishing but very cold. But Colorado is full of New Agers. No one there hardly will see our future like we do. People there are earth lovers, enviromentalists, if you do move there don't tell anyone if you plan to have any type of safe house or shelter.

True North

Thursday, November 08, 2001 - 06:07 pm Click here to edit this post
I remember Joel showing N.E. Colorado as a high risk area due to fallout from intense ground bursts that target missile silos north of the state line (Cheyenne, WY?).

Western Colorado should be fine.

Charles Rippel (Ripple)

Thursday, November 08, 2001 - 06:49 pm Click here to edit this post
From what I have read, CO is out. Fairly high taxes, a "New Age" culture. Add to that, Cheyanne Mountain AFB (NORAD) in Co Springs is a hardened target that would receive prime attention to any attacking foe.

Maybe consider somewhere else......

BOS

Friday, November 08, 2002 - 04:32 am Click here to edit this post
I live in Summit County, Colorado, and do not recommend here for a retreat. It is very cold (we get frost throughout the summer at my place), therefore it is a very short growing season for just a few types of veggies. The population is transient due to the ski area workers, the "ski bums" and the long winters. Real estate prices are through the roof. There is no way this area could support itself in the event of a lasting catastrophe. If there is a large manmade disaster in Denver (nuclear or biological), this county will be overrun by Denverites. We get overrun on the busy weekends as it is. You can't find a prettier place than this, though.

SissyGray

Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 04:09 pm Click here to edit this post
Waht do you all mean by "new age"? I'm interested to know the definition of this term.

Steve Stock

Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 04:30 pm Click here to edit this post
"New Age" is simply a new name for old occultic practices, like spiritualism, spiritism, shamanism, the goddess religions, channeling, crystals, astrology, Ouija boards, tarot cards, etc. Type "New Age" and include the quotation marks in a http://www.google.com search and you'll soon get the idea.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: