Building Codes

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: Strategic Relocation: Relocation Discussions: Building Codes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Bob Davis

Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 01:25 pm Click here to edit this post
We are search for areas that do not enforce building codes. Presently live in west Michigan where codes,(the number of which are limited only by the imagination), are heavily enforced. I have not read Joel's book yet, so my search may be premature. Would certainly appreciate any input you would be kind enough to give.

Edward McGhee (Emcghee)

Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 08:46 pm Click here to edit this post
spend the money and read the book.

Celene

Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 11:05 pm Click here to edit this post
Bob,

Strategic Location is a must read. Very well- researched and documented.

I grew up in Upstate NY. I believe we beat Michigan at over-regulation of , well, everything! I think Joel mentioned in Strategic Relocation that zoning was first developed in New York State then exported to other states. Definitely not something we are proud of.

Re your question about other areas, I have found that certain areas in southern Missouri (and I believe northern Arkanasas too)have NO zoning. (Yes, I said NO zoning/codes). This was incomprehensible to me at first (sad, isn't it) as I repeatedly presented real estate salespeople with various scenarios:

"You mean we can put a house and a business on this land with no permit?"
"Yes ma'am"
"You mean we can put 10 houses up if we want with no permit?"
"Yes ma'am."
Etc etc

They sure gave me some funny looks but the were very polite. I was truly shocked to find that this lack of regulation(ie freedom) still existed in the good ol' USA. Plus it's quite a bit warmer than Michigan and NY!

There may be other areas in the US where this situation exists but I haven't found them yet!

C

AB in SC (Ablonqui)

Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 08:24 pm Click here to edit this post
Last I checked, there were areas in Tennessee with similar scenarios--plus no state income tax...yet!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: