New Hampshire As A Retire/Retreat Place

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: Strategic Relocation: Relocation Discussions: New Hampshire As A Retire/Retreat Place
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Tom S

Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 02:57 pm Click here to edit this post
I live in NJ. At the end of this year I'm retiring from the Army. (Civ employee) I'm thinking of retiring/relocating to upper New Hampshire in Grafton County.

I have skills that are marketable over in VT as well as in places like Hanover NH.

Anybody out there that has any info on this area they'd care to share? (e.g. good or bad re this location)

TNX

Tom S

Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 10:34 am Click here to edit this post
Being as no one has replied to my request for info re NH, I'll reply to myself. I have pretty much settled on the VT/NH area to retire to.

Being that NJ is where I'm at presently, and using the logic that ANY OTHER PLACE IS A BETTER PLACE TO BE, NH/VT don't look bad at all.

Tom

Ralph Hughes (Rhughes)

Monday, July 15, 2002 - 12:07 pm Click here to edit this post
I had the idea that the webmaster, Tom, relocated to NH, or was planning to at one time.

Ron

Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 12:23 pm Click here to edit this post
Tom S,you might read the book Escape To A Small Town by Lisa Rogak,Williams Hill Publishing 1-800-639-1099.In it she talks about moving to,NH,ME,VT and NY.Good luck,Ron.

piecesofamerica

Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 03:20 am Click here to edit this post
Tom,

The area of New Hampshire that you're thinking about is a good choice. There is a good amount of economic activity depending on what skills you have. It is close enough to the larger cities like Manchester or Concord, NH for the purposes of obtaining supplies or supporting a career, yet you can easily hide out in that area and have privacy. The connecticut river valley is a good choice for any kind of farming activity. Hunting is allowed, you will enjoy many more freedoms that you would in New Jersey such as the right to own any firearms, etc. It is a very scenic and beautiful area. New Hampshire does have 4 seasons and winter can be harsh at times, but compared to other parts of the country the New England area is not that bad if you think about it. You are the furthest east you can possibly be from all the nuclear targets in America. There are no major bases nearby. The only real targets are the state capitols, Concord, NH and Montpelier, VT and they are both small. I think (northern) New Hampshire , Vermont , or even Maine are good choices. Joel has a book on strategic relocation, if you find the chapter where he rates the northeast he recommends these areas. Hope this helps a bit.

Tom S

Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 03:52 am Click here to edit this post
Pieceofamerica,

Thanks for the input. Sounds like you're a resident of the area. Are you? If yes, I'd like to talk off-line.

If willing, I can be contacted at

oldtroopp@hotmail.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: