Avoiding CAPITOL cities

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: Strategic Relocation: Relocation Discussions: Avoiding CAPITOL cities
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

tim

Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 04:17 am Click here to edit this post
Hello,

If I recall correctly, I believe that Joel mentions in the Strategic Relocation book to NOT relocate in a Capitol city. Does anyone know WHY Joel suggests this? (Nuke threat? Terrorist threat? etc.?)

(Considering a move from Chicago, IL to the outskirts Madison, WI)

THANKS!!!

Tim

AB in SC (Ablonqui)

Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 01:31 am Click here to edit this post
Which suburb, I used to live in the far-west suburbs of Chicago as well!

I think the reasoning about capital cities has to do with the overall mentallity towards government. Many employees and economies supported by bureucratic waste. They also tend to have larger populations and tendancy towards civil unrest! It's been a while since I read it so I could be way off, but I think that's what he said. I'll have to go back and re-read it.

T

Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 09:21 am Click here to edit this post
I'm not sure which suburb (outskirts of Madison) yet. Have not performed a scouting mission (which I may not now!!!)

Thanks!

T

Steve Stock

Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 12:20 am Click here to edit this post
What Joel Skousen wrote about social unrest in his excellent strategic relocation book is that, "In the long-term any area with over 500 people per square mile will have trouble with large scale social unrest that results from a major disruption of the interconnected job and food market." He especially cautions readers about the large metro areas, like Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, etc. It's not that every capital city is a nuclear target. Instead, I believe he meant that most capital cities are already large and corrupt, so anarchy would likely reign and overwhelm legal and police systems if a crisis like a nuclear war erupts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: