What About Eastern Shore Maryland?

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: Strategic Relocation: Relocation Discussions: What About Eastern Shore Maryland?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Richard G (Rick)

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 11:37 am Click here to edit this post
This is an area I don't read that much about. The most danger I feel would be fallout from western states and of course there is the Dover Air Force Base in Delaware. This area is very rural, does Joel mention it in his books? The water table is high though and this prevents builing a basement structure, so I'm not sure it this would be a good relocation place. Could someone please give me some insight? Thanks!

Ralph Hughes (Rhughes)

Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 06:14 pm Click here to edit this post
I believe there are several Military bases in Maryland which render the state a good target for a nuke. Also, Maryland is situated awfully close to the source of a lot of the reasons we have to concern ourselves about strategic relocation. I wouldn't expect the social environment there to be terribly conducive to avoiding attention by the budding slave masters. I don't imagine you'd have many like-minded neighbors. Possibly quite the opposite. Best thing I remember about Maryland was the blue crabs and oysters.

Richard G (Rick)

Friday, July 29, 2005 - 04:45 pm Click here to edit this post
Hi, thanks for the input. I am in a dilemna because my family and I currently live on the Eastern shore Maryland. We may have to move to Pennsylvania and I was wondering if I should just try to stay put in Maryland or make the move to Pennsylvania.
I looked on Bruce Beach's survival site and saw that we are not in threat of a direct hit here but we are in a bad spot for the fallout.
The area I would have to move in Pennsylvania is about 15 miles outside of Philadelphia in an area called Bucks County Pennsylvania, which has tons of direct hit targets in this area.
I would love to go to central Pennsylvania but it would be too far away from where I work.
My biggest preference from what I've read would be northern Vermont or New Hampshire but I am a self employed mechanical engineer and I don't see much work for my field in that area and then if I was lucky enough to find a job in my field I would give up being self employed.
I am at my wits end trying to figure out a safe relocation place for my family and keeping a job to pay for a mortgage and all the other bills. Also the mortgage I have now is only 59,000 which will go way up if we move. Any suggestions? Thanks again!

Ralph Hughes (Rhughes)

Friday, July 29, 2005 - 08:47 pm Click here to edit this post
I also was a mechanical engineer until I was forced into retirement at 63, went thru as many layoffs as I can count on one hand, and had to contend with the issue of whether to accept certain job offers, which were few and far in between, in places that we felt were not good for immediate family considerations. I'm tempted now to suggest you learn Spanish and go where the jobs are going, but that would be politically incorrect. You are not limited to self employment. There are advantages to both, and we are grateful for the pensions, however, that we do get on top of social security and what I earn as a substitute school teacher. I do believe there is a God who does care about your well being and that of your family. For that reason I always, all 5 times, did my best to get God involved in my job search, with consideration to where we would live. Each time, what I'll call a gut feeling led me to a new job, not always to my complete liking, but which put us in places that at the time were good for us as a family, especially for our kids. I don't think a nuke attack is imminent yet. You probably have some time to even stay where you are and continue to enjoy the blue crabs and oysters on the half shell. Yes, I'm jealous of that.

Richard G (Rick)

Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 12:32 pm Click here to edit this post
Thank you, yes I have prayed alot but I don't think I'm getting answers, perhaps I'm being impatient.
The crabs here are excellent and I would miss that also. Take care!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: