Atlas Shrugged

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: Foundations Of The Ideal State: General Discussion Area: Atlas Shrugged
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Alonzo W. Wight (Alonzow)

Friday, July 14, 2000 - 02:39 pm Click here to edit this post
I have just finished this book, first published in 1956, which I had somehow never read before. And I am struck by this paragraph in the coda, which takes place a the hidden Colorado mountain valley, the retreat of the country's few remaining creative people:

"The rectangle of light in the acres of a farm was the window of the library of Judge Narragansett. He sat at a table, and the light of his lamp fell on the copy of an ancient document. He had marked and crossed out the contradictions in its statements that had once been the cause of its destruction. He was now adding a new clause to its pages: 'Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of production and trade...'"

Is life imitating art?

Alonzo

Webmaster (Tom)

Friday, July 14, 2000 - 02:59 pm Click here to edit this post
Ayn Rand was very perceptive of our politics and being able to see where they would lead. Her ideas are right on but the time table has taken a little longer. I see a lot of truth in that book.

Eileen MacQueen

Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 11:37 am Click here to edit this post
I first read Atlas Shrugged late last Fall and again this summer (a first for me, to read a book cover to cover twice). How I got to be so old without thinking these things thru for myself still shocks me. I feel like I've gone thru a personal epiphany - responsibility for self, productive achievement, a right to freedom and happiness - what a way to truly live.

LMS

Monday, May 05, 2003 - 06:36 pm Click here to edit this post
Excerpt from Atlas Shrugged, © Copyright, 1957, by Ayn Rand. It is reprinted with permission from the Estate of Ayn Rand.

On money -

http://www.atlasshrugged.tv/speech.htm

More Ayn Rand excerpts here: http://www.aynrand.org/books.shtml#as

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: