No public defenders in Mr. Skousen's plan?

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: Foundations Of The Ideal State: General Discussion Area: No public defenders in Mr. Skousen's plan?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Brady

Monday, December 16, 2002 - 03:18 pm Click here to edit this post
After reading through the priciples, am I to understand that there are no public defenders and that all legal defense would necessarily be at the defendant's expense? If so, I'm interested in how a bankrupt defendant would receive a proper defense? Surely the judge presiding cannot take it upon himself to investigate the case, secure witnesses, obtain evidence, and build a case for the defendant?

Wouldn't the cost of public defenders be a legitimate use of public money assuming it is included in the citizenship covenant? In such a covenant, the prospective citizen agrees to waive his rights and submit to a national draft, possible jury duty, and to various taxes. I know that I personally would be even more willing to become a citizen if it meant having legal defense provided me should I need it and be unable to pay for it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: