W. Cleon Skousen's Final Words. . . . .

Joel Skousen's Discussion Forums: Foundations Of The Ideal State: General Discussion Area: W. Cleon Skousen's Final Words. . . . .
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Brian Mecham (Ldsconservative)

Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 07:00 pm Click here to edit this post
No, he didn't die, but he is getting old, almost 93.

Up until November 2005 Cleon Skousen was still teaching Constitution Classes, at his home. Even at 92 Skousen is still staying up to date on current events. I have been attending and taking notes at each meeting. I posted many of the notes on my website: www.latterdayconservative.com

I say "FINAL WORDS" because there is a chance that Skousen is finished teaching and these notes reflect his final teachings. A few months ago Skousen fell and got some bad bruises and is still recovering. We still don't know if he'll get well enough to teach again.

Some people have been interested in obtaining a copy of all the notes compiled into one text document... if you are interested, send me a message.

Here is an excerpt from the notes:

There is no denying that the Secret Combination spoken of in Ether Chapter 8 of the Book of Mormon exists today. Dr. Skousen spoke about the "War in Iraq," informing us that it is unconstitutional and a war the Founding Fathers would have never gotten involved in. He said President Bush is taking orders from a higher power. One lady in the room asked, "who, Heavenly Father?" At that moment I began laughing in my mind, because I knew the truth was completely opposite. Dr. Skousen responded by saying it is the World Banks, the Rothschilds, Rockefellers - the money powers, etc. They are the ones who are really in power. They are the ones who ordered the war. . .

Dr. Skousen said that "We should separate Church and State, but not State and Religion." Thomas Jefferson had similar ideas when he said there should be "separation of church and state." Jefferson put bibles in all the schools. Some would wonder how this is separation of church and state? The part of the Constitution that mentions this is the 1st Amendment "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Thus separating Church from State, but not State and Religion. Our country is founded based on the belief that our unalienable rights come from God. . .

Ralph Hughes (Rhughes)

Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:25 am Click here to edit this post
My first encounter with W. Cleon Skousen occurred in 1968 after I had agreed to substitute and Old Testament Seminary class in Payson, UT for the rest of the school year. It was a challenging situation for me in that I was not terribly familiar with the Old Testament. Driving back to Provo, where I lived, it occurred to me to approach Dr. Skousen at the Brigham Young University and ask for some help and ideas. He cordially invited me into his office, and in about 20 minutes wrote out and explained to me 2 weeks of lesson plans to get me started. I took the kids almost the rest of the Spring to catch up to me.

My favourite recollection of Cleon Skousen goes back to late 1971, when he was my landlord. He did two things which left a lasting impression on me. First, when I told him I was considering a position with the CIA, he asked why. In response to one of my reasons, he said to me that I'd be doing more good for the other side because the CIA was so infiltrated. And I guess Ames and Hanssen proved him right. The other thing he did which I greatly admired was at considerable expense to himself and with I believe considerable financial backing in addition to his own resources, established the Freeman Institute for the purpose of educating Americans about the US Constitution and the threats to destroy it and merge America into a one world political, economic and military unit. The Freeman Institute eventually evolved into the National Center for Constitutional Studies (NCCS).

Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:30 am Click here to edit this post
I thought i'd for sure get someones attention with the title of this thread (W. Cleon Skousen's Final Words. . . . .)

We have been studying Making of America in the class Skousen teaches (taught :( ) at his home. Ken Bowers (author of Hiding in Plain Sight) is currently teaching it at Cleon's request. I like all of Skousen's books.

An interesting note about his books... Cleon Skousen told us about a book he wrote, I think it's about the last days, and he hasn't published it yet... He met with President Hinckley and spoke with him about it, and apparently President Hinckley said that we (LDS people) aren't ready for it yet. I don't know exactly what's in that book but it sounded very interesting and deep.

And Cleon has had Ken Bowers working for him for the past few years. (ever since Cleon read Ken's book "Hiding in Plain Sight". Cleon said that it's one of the best books on the subject [the Secret Combination], and liked it so much that he asked Ken to work for him) Ken has been scanning, and organizing all of Skousen's papers and research information and documents, a lot of unpublished stuff, and put them on the computer/dvd data disc. Ken said that Skousen hasn't given the word yet on when to make it available to the public, but I can't wait to get it.

Aslo, one of the other Skousen authors is currently writing a W. Cleon Skousen Biography (Cleon is helping him write it). I can't wait for that! Brother Skousen has lived an interesting and long life. I am extremely grateful for what's he has accomplished.

Jake Coltrane (Jakecoltrane)

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 06:12 am Click here to edit this post
Update on W. Cleon Skousen, 1913-2006:

Friends, Foes Recall Unwavering Principle

W. Cleon Skousen was a federal law enforcement officer, an author, philosopher, fighter of communism and organized crime, religious leader, police chief and a lightning rod for the political right. But whatever his role, his friends and foes alike agree that he was a man of unwavering principle who fought fiercely for his beliefs, making deeply committed followers and equally strident enemies along the way…
http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3387333

Here’s the memorial page:
http://www.skousen2000.com/default.htm

And Brian, you really got it right the first time when you opened this thread by writing, “No, he didn't die.” Great men like W. Cleon Skousen never really die; their kind deeds and influence live on forever. “The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity,” said Seneca. Let us not whisper a sad “Goodbye” but instead let us say, “Happy birthday…Happy eternity, Dr. Skousen.”

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:20 pm Click here to edit this post
I was learning from Brother Skousen during 2005 in his Constitution class that he had at his home. He was a great teacher until the end.

It didn't matter who you were, he was always friendly and kind. I believe he had a Christ-like love for everyone. He was and will continue to be an example in my life.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: