The Secure Home is a comprehensive "How To" manual that covers every aspect of securing your home, including high security construction techniques for walls,windows and doors. It will take you through the planning stages of designing a secure home from the ground up, and includes an extensive section on how to remodel an existing home for security. The book covers all the types of mechanical systems, including alternative equipment for heating, cooling, and power generation, using multiple sources---wood, water, wind, solar, and various types of combustable fuel. The Secure Home also specializes on how to design and implement your own concealed multiple-purpose Safe Room in the basement level of a home, providing protection from fire, intrusion, earthquake and nuclear/biological/chemical attacks. All the architectural details are included. Best, there's an extensive section on products and sources to help you find the specialty equipment necessary to secure your home, which is updated yearly online, helping you keep the book up to date.
The Secure Home was originally published in 1999, and the text was updated in 2006. A PDF version of The 700 page Secure Home is now available for half price---$22. This is an especially valuable option for those who live outside the US where shipping charges for this large book equal the cost of the paper edition. You must use Paypal Send Money for this PDF version, directed to his email address which is formed by his first name, joel, at joelskousen.com. Mention in the comments section what you are ordering. PDF versions are also available for "How to Implement a High Security Shelter in the Home" and the booklet "10 Packs for Survival." Click on Special Reports link at the bottom for more information on these two items.
To illustrate, take the following quiz about the security of your home:
1. How would you keep your house from freezing in the winter if electricity were unavailable for a long period of time? Do you have some type of wood burning heater? What about hot water?
2. Do you have back-up cooking facilities if an earthquake made natural gas unavailable for a month or two? Could you heat hot water?
3. What if you lose both electricity and gas?
4. Would you be willing to rely on batteries and candles for illumination if a major power outage lasted more than a week?
5. Do you have extra tanks of potable water should public water supplies be cut off or contaminated? Would you know how to collect and filter your own water if none was available for a long time?
6. If a winter storm damaged windows in your home, would you have sufficient plastic sheeting and repair materials to quickly enclose the open areas to retain heat?
If you answered "No" to any one of the above questions, your home is NOT secured, and your family is NOT protected.
Learn more about securing your home in my book "The Secure Home." if you are only securing a single room in your home consider my book The High Security Shelter -- a How-To guide for building your own vault room for survival and security in a variety of crises. Foreign buyers of The Secure Home need to contact me at joel at joelskousen.com for additional shipping charges as this book weighs 4 pounds and my website ordering form only calculates domestic shipping. If you already own The Secure Home, check out the online update at Recommended Products and Services. Read more...